- Relocation of production server compute and storage relocation to private cloud infrastructure
- Aging DR infrastructure and corresponding services
- Obtaining cost effective, reliable, and high-speed connectivity (critical requirement for cloud service)
- Production server and compute environment reaching end of life
- Council considering relocating administration (production environment)
- Carry out a baseline health check on the critical systems, infrastructure, and baseline core business applications.
- Review BCP requirements, backup and DR processes and associated risks
- Carry out workshop to review design considerations and provide specifications for required equipment (switching, WLAN and firewall); ensure that business continuity requirements are addressed to minimise any disruption to operations.
- Workshop cloud migration options and viable strategies. Ensure that we had a clear understanding of all workloads and related services.
- Carry out some general market investigations with some of the key service providers to verify feasibility of deploying the proposed solution.
- Draft tender requirements include key specifications, desired outcomes, and technical specifications of all components to provide a low-risk migration.
- Workshop project requirements to finalise the desired outcomes and deliverables to be included in the tender.
- Go to market and provide technical advisory service to assist with qualifying the tender responses and answer any questions from the panel.
|What did we learn?
- Take the time to go over the requirements multiple times and drafting detailed design documentation prior to deployment will ensure a smooth transition and minimise the time to troubleshoot any post installation issues.
- Providing a clear set of as-built documentation during the training and hand-over phase helps get the clients IT Team up to speed quickly.