- Production server compute and storage relocation; refresh all core and access switching
- LAN and WAN changes resulting from datacentre relocation are high risk
- Network redesign to include segmentation and meet security requirements
- Council relocating administration office as part of this project
- Two-day window to migrate datacentre and critical services
- Carry out a baseline health check on the critical systems, infrastructure, and baseline core business applications.
- Review BCP requirements, backup and DR processes and associated risks
- Carry out workshop to review design considerations and provide specifications for required equipment (switching, WLAN and firewall); ensure that business continuity requirements are addressed to minimise any disruption to operations.
- Discuss requirements with service providers and more importantly ensure that the required communication services (WAN links and Internet) are commissioned and tested prior to relocation.
- Draft new Infrastructure LAN/WAN design and present to stakeholders along with the associated risks.
- Obtain some budgetary pricing to implement the proposed strategy.
- Draft tender requirements include key specifications, desired outcomes and technical specifications of all components to provide a low-risk migration.
- Draft project plan and carry out deployment new infrastructure components at new site. Assist with relocation and testing.
|What did we learn?
- Take the time to go over the requirements multiple times and drafting detailed design documentation prior to deployment will ensure a smooth transition and minimise the time to troubleshoot any post installation issues.
- Providing a clear set of as-built documentation during the training and hand-over phase helps get the clients IT Team up to speed quickly.